Originally created to desalinate (take the salt out of) sea water to make it drinkable, Reverse Osmosis (RO) systems are complex, delicate, and quite expensive to use at home on fresh water. While they certainly are great at turning sea water to potable water, they cost thousands- and they don’t do a better job than Pure Berkey at doing the job most people need done- purifying fresh water.
Reverse osmosis facts:
- 95-85% of water run though a reverse osmosis filter is discarded as waste water- disastrous for Septic Tank systems, extremely expensive for those with high water rates and environmentally unsound.
- Delicate RO membranes can be easily damaged, requiring pre-filtering systems, frequent filter changes and maintenance to avoid ruining the core system.
- To ensure all microbes are killed, additional ultra-violet (uv) light systems are required for common biological contamination like eColi, Coliform bacteria and Giardia. UV lights require electricity to function- meaning bio hazards are not managed during power outages. This is particularly concerning when storms knock out power and cause water main breaks, which are the leading cause of bio hazards in drinking water.
- Reverse Osmosis removes all minerals, including those that are beneficial and taste enhancing, requiring additives to the water to make it taste good. In addition, de-mineralized water leaches minerals from food cooked in it.
- Reverse Osmosis is expensive technology with on-going costs: $1,300 for under sink to $18,000 for a whole-house system. Add higher water costs and filter changes for a total cost of ownership.
- Reverse Osmosis units are plumbed in- it’s not something you can take with you when you move, travel or visit a second home. Pure Berkey needs no tools to install and is completely portable.