Why Shop With Pure Berkey?
The ONLY place to get Berkey Units
Only purchases from Pure Berkey.com provide direct support to kids in need of Pure Water.
This site powers Pure Berkey’s mission statement, Pure Water for All.
Do you have a giving opportunity?
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org about making Pure Berkey units part of your philanthropy in the U.S. and abroad. We would love to help you help others.
What's In My Water?
Consumer Confidence Reports
Whatever you learn from the Consumer Confidence Report for your tap water, remember, there is a simple solution. Pure Berkey is the gold standard of water purification, removing 99.99% of Lead, VOCs, Bacteria, Viruses and Drugs. Pure Berkey even removes radiological waste like uranium. Pure water for pennies a gallon. No matter what.
Look for the key of abbreviations and familiarize yourself with them. Here’s a common list:
- Maximum Contaminant Level Goal (MCLG): The level of a contaminant in drinking water below which there is no known or expected risk to health. MCLGs allow for a margin of safety./li>
- Maximum Contaminant Level (MCL): The highest level of contaminant that is allowed in drinking water. MCLs are set as close to the MCLGs as feasible using the best available treatment technology.
- Maximum Residual Disinfectant Level Goal (MRDLG): The level of a drinking water disinfectant below which there is no known or expected risk to health. MRDLGs do not reflect the benefits of the use of disinfectants to control microbial contaminants.
- Maximum Residual Disinfectant Level (MRDL): The highest level of a drinking water disinfectant allowed in drinking water. There is convincing evidence that addition of a disinfectant is necessary for control of microbial contaminants.
- Highest Level Detected: This column represents the highest single sample reading of a contaminant of all the samples collected in this calendar year.
- Range of Detections: This column represents a range of individual sample results, from lowest to highest that were collected during the CCR calendar year.
- Date of Sample: If a date appears in this column, the Illinois EPA requires monitoring for this contaminant less than once per year because the concentrations do not frequently change. If no date appears in the column, monitoring for this contaminant was conducted during the Consumer Confidence Report calendar year.
- Action Level (AL): The concentration of a contaminant that triggers treatment or other required actions by the water supply.
- Treatment Technique (TT): A required process intended to reduce the level of a contaminant in drinking water.
- ND: Not detectable at testing limits
- N/A: Not applicable
- Locational Running Annual Average (LRAA): The average of 4 consecutive quarterly results at each monitored sample location. The LRAA should not exceed 80µg/L for TTHM and 60µg/L for HAA5.
There is a difference between Safe and Legal.
Safe are results closer to the MCLG (Maximum Contaminant Level Goal).
Legal are results closer the MCL (Maximum Contaminant Level), the maximum allowed by law.
Water companies frequently say the water is safe to drink, when what they mean is the water is legal to drink. Example: the MCLG for lead is 0; your water company can say they are meeting EPA’s MCL guidelines with 90% of readings at 15 parts per billion (ppb). That’s 15 times1 more than anyone should consume.
1 Pure Berkey understands that you can’t multiply by 0. We hope you get our intended point -15 ppb is a lot more than 0.
Berkey Lab Results
List of .pdf documents for download
The first line of defense is that Berkey® purification elements are composed of a proprietary formulation of more than six different media types, all constructed into a very compact matrix containing millions of microscopic pores. These pores are so small that they produce what we refer to as a “Tortuous Path” that pathogenic bacteria, cysts, parasites, herbicides, pesticides, organic solvents, VOC’s, detergents, cloudiness, silt, sediment and sedimentary minerals, foul tastes and odors must travel through. These paths are so small that these pollutants physically cannot pass through them and become trapped, eliminating them from your drinking water. This process is known as microfiltration.
Secondly, our media formulation uses unique adsorption and absorption properties. Adsorption works to create an ionic barrier similar to surface tension. This barrier is perfectly suited to the micro-porous water filter because it effectively allows the tiny pores to block water contaminants that are smaller than the pore size itself. This blocking process is how the Berkey® water filter is able to remove submicron viruses that other brands of water filters cannot, without the use of obnoxious chemicals like iodine or chlorine. Next, the heavy metals ions (mineral molecules) such as cadmium, chromium, copper, lead, mercury, aluminum, and other dangerous heavy metals are extracted from the water through an Ion exchange process where they are attracted to and transformed by electrically bonding to the media.
Finally, Berkey® systems are so effective at removing contaminants from water because of the extremely long “contact period”. Other filtration systems rely on water pressure that forces water molecules through the elements at 60-90 PSI. These water molecules come into contact with the filter media for a mere fraction of a second. By comparison, water molecules passing through the structure of the Black Berkey® elements are drawn gently by gravity and stay in contact with the media for a long period of time. This allows the filter media to be more efficient in capturing contaminants. This advanced technology was developed, refined, and proven through years of diligent, investigative research and testing performed by water purification specialists, researchers, and engineers. The flow rate or time of exposure through the Black Berkey® purification elements has been calculated to yield the greatest volume of removal of viruses, toxic chemicals, and bacteria.
Pure Water Habits
Practicing Pure Water Habits
Practicing Pure Water Habits means you don’t give contaminants a chance to harm the health of your household. By using Pure Berkey Purification daily, you avoid unpleasant surprises and are always prepared for any contingency. The sad fact is, we learn about contaminated water AFTER we’ve been drinking it, sometimes for years. By practicing Pure Water Habits daily, you’re assured of pure, plentiful and healthful water for pennies a gallon.
Worst Case Scenarios
Avoid harsh chemicals, heavy metals, and unregulated carcinogens in tap water by using Pure Berkey every day, and rest assured you’re already prepared for the worst case scenario. When you practice Pure Water habits, Pure Berkey has you covered during Boil Water notices, chemical spills, water main breaks, natural disasters, and bottled water shortages. Pure Berkey doesn’t need power or water pressure to provide plentiful pure water for your household.
"Thousands have lived without love, not one without water."
~ W. H. Auden
"Water is the driving force of all nature."
~ Leonardo da Vinci
Cancer-causing dry-cleaning contaminants found in Kansas water 6 years before state took any action to notify residents.read more
Detroit joins many other school systems found to have high rates of lead in drinking fountains and taps. Schools in New York City, Maine, Illinois, Pennsylvania, Arizona, California have experienced significant lead problems, but many more instances likely remain unreported as lead testing in public schools is completely voluntary, as is the replacement of outdated equipment. Eight states report no data for lead testing (Alaska, Nevada, South Dakota, Tennessee, Alabama, Arkansas, Mississippi, and Kentucky) while the remaining 42 states all report some lead violations.read more
Bottom Line, so you can get Berkey’s gold standard water purification faster and with less hassle at no extra cost. Traditional Berkey dealers sell only Do-It-Yourself units that require you to install the lid and the spigot - a common source of frustration for new...read more